Every day, our hands touch so many things. Greeting people, holding the handrail, opening doors, doing the shopping… We use our hands in everything we do. That’s why it’s so important to wash them more often than the rest of the body – and to look after them.
We give you some tips and advice on washing your hands well, and keeping them soft and supple!
Why is it so important to wash your hands really well ?
Every day, our hands are constantly exposed to dirt, germs, microbes, bacteria and harsh environmental factors.
We use our hands to touch and hold things, such as telephones and computers. We use them for gardening, manual work and cooking. And because we use them so much, they tend to spread dirt. Our hands are tools that we use every day. It’s important to look after them.
And the best way to do that is to wash them!
Things to remember when washing your hands
Washing your hands properly involves a few simple but crucial steps:
Don’t forget the details…
In order to wash your hands properly, there are some little details that are very important:
- Wash your thumbs! We often forget our thumbs when we wash our hands too quickly.
- Wash your wrists too!
- Take the time to wash under your nails.
- When drying your hands, use a single-use towel or a very clean one.
How often should you wash your hands?
- Before, during and after preparing and handling food.
- Before each meal.
- After sneezing, blowing your nose or coughing.
- After going to the bathroom.
- After using public transport.
- After touching dirty objects, such as the waste bin.
- After touching an animal.
- Before and after helping someone who is ill.